The basic workshop practice helps students to understand the basic skills required for fitting and welding. Since all engineers must not only know how to design products but also have a basic knowledge of how to make them, first year students of all engineering branches are made to undergo workshop practice. Students use various measuring instruments and tools to perform fitting and welding exercises. The lab also has drilling and grinding machines along with carpentry and sheet metal tools to help students better understand workshop practice.
In order to know the basic workshop tools and equipments student has to study about the different workshop practice tools and equipments. They can practically make various product using this different workshop practice tools and equipments which give them through knowledge about various operations of fitting, machining, pattern making, moulding, casting, welding etc. They get knowledge about various measuring instruments, tools and equipment.
List of Major Experiments:
- FITTING – Making a gauge from MS plate .
- MACHINING – To make a pin from a 20mm mild steel rod in a lathe.
- MACHINING – To make a MS prism from a 20 mm mild steel rod in a shaping and / or milling machine.
- PATTERN MAKING, SAND MOULDING AND CASTING – To make a wooden pattern and a sand mould with that pattern for casting a cast iron block
- WELDING (GAS WELDING)- To join two thin mild steel plates or sheets (1 to 3 mm thick) by gas welding.
- WELDING (ARC WELDING)-To join two thick (6mm) MS plate by arc welding.
- SHEET METAL WORK- Forming a cone, for example.
BENCH GRINDING MACHINE
ARC WELDING MACHINE
GAS WELDING APPERATUS