The Signals and Systems is concerned with the representation of signals and the study of the changes that occur to them as they pass through systems. It provides a foundation for the Signal Processing, Control, and Communications Engineering modules covered later in the undergraduate curriculum. The study of Signals and Systems is to allow one to predict, with some certainty, the behavior of systems when they are subjected to different input signals. The area of Signal system has advanced rapidly over the last four decades. This advancement is attributed to the progress in digital computer technology and integrated circuit fabrications.
In this course, the student will acquire hands-on experience with programming in MATLAB. MATLAB will enable you to study and understand the theory behind signals and systems as well as validate the theory with real-world examples. The labs will cover linear time-invariant systems, Fourier series and Fourier transform, sampling, digital filters, along with several accompanying digital signal-processing (DSP) applications.
List of Major Experiments:
- Familiarization with MATLAB and SIMULINK
- Basics of Programming technique using MATLAB.
- To study Z- transform of: a) Sinusoidal signals b) Step functions.
- To compare Fourier and Laplace transformations of a signal.
- To study convolution theorem in time and frequency domain.
- To Study Signal Synthesis via sum of harmonics.
- To study LPF &HPF, band passes and rejects filters using RC circuits.
- To demonstrate how analog signals are sampled and how different sampling rates affect the outputs.
- To study sampling theorem for low pass signals and band pass signals.
- To determine the components of: a) Square wave b) Clipped sine wave.
Lab Facilities & Equipment:
The Signal System Lab comprises of test and measurement equipment for doing advanced research and development work in signal processing field. The Lab is equipped with complete set of Software to understand the theory behind signals and systems.
- Code Composer Studio V 2.2
- Code Composer Studio V 3.1
- Software for JTAG Compliant Devices
- Function Generator
- Digital Multimeter
- Different Active and Passive Components