The area of digital signal processing has advanced rapidly over the last four decades. This advancement is attributed to the progress in digital computer technology and integrated circuit fabrications. There are many reasons why the digital processing of an analog signal is preferred over the signal processing directly in analog domain. The advantages of DSP are common to many digital systems and include:
- Digital systems can be reprogrammed for other applications (at least where programmable DSP chips are used)
- Digital systems can be ported to different hardware
- Digital systems can be easily duplicated
- Digital systems provide much better accuracy requirement. Tolerances in the analog components make it much difficult for the system designer to control the accuracy of an analog processing system. DSP is used in a very wide variety of applications.
This lab introduces students to DSP design and analysis techniques that are core knowledge for DSP engineers, and which serve as solid grounding for advanced level work in DSP. This lab aims at supporting the teaching and research activities in the area of DSP, which are either currently being.
- To emphasize the teaching of key DSP concepts.
- To provide an understanding of how to design signal processing systems and process data in software simulation like using MATLAB®.
- To give students an introduction to real-time DSP requirements by exposing them to the use of some educational DSP kits with real-time capability.
- To heighten students’ awareness of the vast array of diverse practical DSP applications by exposing them to some practical DSP demos, hardware and operations involved in this area and also to provide students with a learning platform on which to further experiment with DSP through course work, design projects, theses, etc.
List of Major Experiments:
- Introduction to MATLAB
- Signal plotting of continuous & discrete time signals
- M- files creation
- Discrete Time Signal & Systems
- Z – Transform
- Discrete Time Fourier Transform
- Properties Of Discrete Time Fourier Transform
- Discrete Fourier Transform
- Fast Fourier Transform
- Analog Filter Design
- Digital Filter Design
- Introduction to SIMULINK
- Applications to SIMULINK
- Introduction and Applications of DSP Boards
Lab Facilities & Equipment:
The Digital Signal Processing Lab comprises of test and measurement equipment for doing advanced research and development work in digital signal processing field. The Lab is equipped with complete set of Hardware and Software to perform DSP experiments.
- Code Composer Studio V 2.2
- Code Composer Studio V 3.1
- Software for JTAG Compliant Devices
- Over 40 PC’s
- DSP Starter Kits TMS320C6711
- DSP Imaging Kit TMDX3206711
- XDS 560 JTAG Emulator