Digital Electronics are those electronic systems that use a digital signal instead of an analog signal. Digital electronics are the most common representation of Boolean algebra and are the basis of all digital circuits for computers, mobile phones and numerous other consumer products. In a digital system, a more precise representation of a signal can be obtained by using more binary digits to represent it. While this requires more digital circuits to process the signals, each digit is handled by the same kind of hardware, resulting in an easily scalable system. Information storage can be easier in digital systems than in analog ones. The noise-immunity of digital systems permits data to be stored and retrieved without degradation. Today digital electronics are applied in many diverse areas such as telephony, data processing, radar, navigation, military systems, medical instruments, process controls etc.
The importance of introducing this subject in Electronics, Electrical and Computer Science engineering is enormous. This laboratory is intended to make students familiar with different types of designs as sequential logic circuits, combinational logic circuits, trouble shooting of various digital systems & study of various digital systems. Now coming to the area of Digital Electronics, it is essential to understand wide range of applications from industrial electronics to the fields of communication, from micro embedded systems to military equipment.
List of Major Experiments:
In this laboratory students are introduced with digital ICs and their specifications and are skilled with practical digital circuit design
- Introduction and identification of different digital IC chips and their specifications, concept of Vcc and ground, verification of the truth tables of logic gates.
- Study of basic gate diagrams and realize the same with universal logic gates .
- Construction of various combinational circuits such as adder, subtractor circuit
- Realization of different codes and also the conversion technique like BCD to Excess-3 and vice-versa, BCD to decimal to drive 7-segment display using multiplexer etc.
- Construction of various combinational circuits like simple decoder, multiplexer, parity generator and comparator using logic gate ICs or any specific chip
- Design of sequential circuits like RS-JK and D flip-flops using universal logic gates
- Design of asynchronous & synchronous up/down counter.
- Design of ring counter and johnson’s counter
- A to D and D to A converter.
- Design of ALU
- Cathode Ray Oscilloscope-30 MHz (APLAB)
- Function Generator (SCIENTIFIC)
- Digital IC tester
- Analog and Digital Experiment Platform (SCIENTECH ST 2613)
- Various Power supplies (DC and AC)
- Digital Multimeter (METRAVI)
- Digital Experiment Platform
- Bread Board and 30 types of different digital IC (IC 7404, 7400,7476,74164, 74151 etc)